Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sweet Carrot Cake - Sugar Free

October just plain got away from me! Between Canadian Thanksgiving and the Car Collector Auction in Toronto, and Michael working crazy hours to complete his latest all Corvette painting and a bout of the flu, not to mention Halloween with school aged kids, it just whizzed by!

As things calm down a bit, and before the frenzy of a New Release hits (it's called "C1, See Them All", by the way), I thought I'd take a moment and share another "new" sugar free recipe that I just baked last night. Although I'm the only one who has tasted tested it so far, I'm liking it. My father, who is a diabetic with a huge sweet tooth, will be the ultimate judge. But I think he'll approve, it's just decadent and moist enough for his liking!

Here's a quick photo I took, (it's obvious that Michael's the artist, not me!) in our dining room. Although you can't see it, that's "New to the Chase", Michael's 2001 Bullitt painting, in the background!

Sweet Carrot Cake - Sugar-free

Cake
2 1/4 cups flour
2 cups Splenda Grandular
2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups shredded carrots (about 2 large carrots)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups oi

Frosting
1 2/3 cup Splenda
8 oz cream cheese (I use Philidelphia Spreadable - in the tub)
4 tblsp margarine
2 tsp vanilla

Heat oven to 350ºF. Grease and lightly dust with flour, bottom and sides of a bunt pan (which is what I used) or two 9-inch round pans. In a large bowl combine all Cake ingredients. Mix on medium for about 3 minutes. Pour in to prepared pan(s), bake for 45-60 minutes for the bunt, 35-45 for the 9-inch, or until a wooden skewer inserted comes out clean. Let cool 10 minutes, remove from pan(s) and cool completely.

For frosting, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl. Blend well with a spatula. The frosting may still need a bit of work, I've never made one completely sugar-free before. I recommend playing with the ingredients a bit, maybe adding some extra vanilla. Although mine was pretty good, I'm not sure it's quite sweet enough. Alternately, skip the icing, the cake is so moist, it really doesn't need it. Or make traditional icing and serve it "on the side". Just had another thought: this would be excellent with sugar-free whipped cream - yum!!

I'll let you know if it passes the tough dad test. In the mean time, watch for the release of Michael's Corvette piece ... any day now ...  and for my next "Buying Art" installment.  — Linda

No comments:

Post a Comment